In 1794 a gentleman called John Clerk of Builth published his book ‘General views on agriculture in the county of Hereford’ and observed that there was no form of agricultural society in the county of Herefordshire. This led to the formation of the Herefordshire Agricultural society in 1797 and the beginning of the Three Counties Agricultural Society as we know it today!
The 1st show took place in the streets of Hereford in 1798. Three silver goblets were awarded as prizes and membership was only 100 strong. The 1st show to be staged at the showground was in 1958 when her majesty Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, honoured the event with a five hour visit.
In 1800, Society Member Mr. Tench of Broomfield, Ludlow, offered to show a Hereford Bull - named Prizefighter - against any bull in England for one hundred guineas. The Hereford defeated a Leicester Bull brought by Mr. Knowles of Nailworth and the animal became a celebrity overnight!
The first Show to be staged at Malvern, was in 1890. There were no Shows in 1917 and 1918, owing to World War 1.
In 1924, the Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin MP was elected President, but plans to stage the Show at Pitchcroft, Worcester, were marred by inclement weather and floods of eight feet!
The first Show after World War II – scheduled to open on the second Tuesday in June 1947 was postponed following an outbreak of Foot and Mouth disease within two miles of the Showyard.